Skip to main content

Oh no, I am Back!

Yay, blog move is finally complete, and here we are -- with a shiny new dedicated blog domain name, and a Blogger/Google-based account. Blogger has gone a long way since I moved to WordPress from my original blogger account.

My main reason for this renewed love is the flexibility with CSS/HTML template, domain name support and ability to add javascript to your blog is also pretty sweet. In general, it just feels like they trust you more with your own blog here at Blogger. WordPress ends up being ruled by a pretty draconian law, and breeds rather annoyingly hawkish forum users.

Without too much product-bashing, I'm just happy to be done with the move, which unfortunately had to be manual.

Keep an eye out for a set of new posts about drop down menues and REST.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car or Auto Make-Model-Year Database : For Breakfast

Make Model What?If you like me were tasked with loading a database of recent car makes/models/years, you would start by looking on the web and seeing if someone else just has it out there, readily available, hopefully for free, but perhaps for a tiny nominal fee.?If only it was that simple... I looked and looked, and couldn't find anything that would fit the above requirements. So I thought, who would know about US car models better than Kelly Blue Book? So I went on their site, and sure enough they have a javascript file that lists all known to them makes and models of used cars. Since the file is public, I figured it's not really "evil" if I scrape and parse it for my own benefit. Disagree? Have a better source? Then leave a comment.Anyway, to cut the long story short, I'm hoping to save a day or so to someone else who may, like me, be looking for this information. The ruby module shown below retrieves and parses the javascript from KBB site into a Ruby da…

Getting RMagic and friends to work on OS-X Mountain Lion

Upgraded my ruby environment today to Mountain Lion.

Here is a quick checklist that I went through to get everything working.  The largest change was having to reinstall XCode and command line tools, and also download XQuarts in order to reinstall ImageMagick successfully. Without it, I was getting errors building RMagick of the following shape:
ld: file not found: /usr/lib/libltdl.7.dylib for architecture x86_64clang:
error: linker command failed with exit code 1
(use -v to see invocation)make: *** [RMagick2.bundle] Error 1

Quick checklist: Install Mountain Lion Install XCode 4.4 Install command line tools from XCode 4.4 Preferences dialog Install XQuartzIn terminal run brew update brew uninstall imagemagick brew install --fresh imagemagick wipe out your ~/.rvm folder reinstall RVM and install the latest ruby 1.9.3-p-194 run "bundle" in the project folder run "rake" and rejoice
References:

https://github.com/mroth/lolcommits/issues/65

Wanelo Tech Gems: we've been busy!

It's been quite some time that I've posted here, to my personal blog, so long in fact, that the publishing interface a'la Blogger now looks like MS Word. Or God forbid you remember, Word Perfect. (Yes, I am that old).

But that's not what I wanted to write about.

Wanelo, the team that I lead as a CTO, has been kicking so much ass lately, that I've just had no time documenting personal projects here, even though there have been plenty.

So to sort of catch up in one blog post at once, I wanted to put a few links to some of the great content on our technical blog, that's been recently migrated to Github Pages.

Without further ado:
Multi-process or multi-threaded design for Ruby daemons A pretty awesome blog post by our own Eric Saxby about thinking in terms of GIL (global interpreter lock in ruby), it's impact on production environments, especially in multi-threaded environments, and where long-running processes may have impact on your database transactions. Ver…